View Single Post

Old 11-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I had a similar experience to that Ruben, but in different circumstances. Whilst serving with the Army in Gibraltar, I was trying to get spares and accessories for an old Willy's MB Jeep. Everything I needed was advertised in the J.C.Whitney (Chicago) catalogue, but because I was writing from a BFPO (British Forces Post Office) address, they totally ignored several orders of over $1000.

I did surmount that one though. In the dockyard Royal Navy Control Tower, there was a lone USN liaison officer for any visiting USN ships or Subs. He had his own private AFPO address to facilitate US Navy mail drops and collections. So I invited him along to the weekly Friday Tapas at the Gibraltar Garrison Sgts Mess. This was a Primary social event on the Rock, but access was only allowed as a guest of a member. He was delighted, and the rest of the mess were tickled pink that the most junior mess member (Me) was regularly bringing in the highest ranking US Officer on the Rock. Can't remember what rank he was but there was a lot of gold on his cap and shoulders and he way outranked any of the visiting USN personnel. Including the head honcho of USS Nimitz. Yep, I took him along to the Friday Tapas too.

Needless to say, his AFPO number was put to good use, and he often joked that I got more mail than the US Navy did. I never did tell him that the mail wasn't all for me, but I don't think he would have minded. We became good mates and his family stayed at my house for a week when they visited.