Thread: Moon Palace
View Single Post

Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Moon Palace

Hello!

This is my build of the vintage "Moon Palace" that Tom Greensfelder kindly shared with us
in post #17 of this other thread: familie journal christmas papertoy

For this build I used my own color-corrected version which you can find on post #28 of the above link.

I printed the kit on 160gsm cardstock, at double letter size (11X17 inches - 28X43 cm).

The final size of the kit once built at this scale is about 12X12 inches (32X32 cm).

This is a vintage kit from 1930. Some details are not so good, and there are a couple of fitting issues.
However, I believe they add some character to the model.

One word of warning:
The big crescents need to be laminated on a sturdy cardstock.
That big moon needs to be at least 1mm or 1.5mm thick in order to hold shape.

Otherwise, once you put the thread on the points of the moon to hang it
the weight of the palace will make it bend oddly.

I didn't realize that until it was too late, and had to change the way it is hung.
That's why I used some nylon thread anchored on the points you see in my photos.

But if you use a proper material sandwiched between the crescents, you will be able to
use the suggested anchor points for the thread without problem.
That will also help the palace to stay more vertical.

Now.. on to the photos.

Close-ups of the Palace's modules:

The instructions for this part may be not so clear.
It is a terrace with verandah

Here's a photo:

I made the mistake of assembling the whole structure before attaching its base to the Moon.
Beware that you should glue first the yellow base to the moon as per the instructions given in the kit
and then afterwards build up the rest of the tower.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Moon Palace-moon_palace_01.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_02.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_03.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_04.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_05.jpg  

Moon Palace-moon_palace_06.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_07.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_08.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_08_1.jpg   Moon Palace-moon_palace_09.jpg