View Single Post

Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Another Yamaha YZF-R1M

With the sad demise of Retunga's very promising-looking build of the "Ultra-Realistic" Yamaha YZF-R1M, I feel I can show my attempt without stealing his thunder. I finished it a few weeks ago, so we shall have a whirlwind tour of the construction process.

With these Yamaha models, I find the hardest bit is getting the frame in shape, so I discard the provided assembly sequence and start with that. The problem with the frame is that the main side members are long thin boxes which very easily warp uncontrollably during construction. On top of that, they are meant to curve and twist to some extent, but this is very unclear from the instructions, which only give perspective drawings and photos as guidance. I have resigned myself always to build the main frame twice, the first time simply to find out what shape it should really be. You will have to imagine the first try - here is the second.

Another Yamaha YZF-R1M-frame1.jpg Another Yamaha YZF-R1M-frame2.jpg

Next comes the rear arm, which for the same reason I expect to have to do at least twice. This time I had particular trouble with the strip wrapping the top of the left arm - the front end was canted at an angle, whereas it seemed to me it should be roughly parallel with the back. I redrew it that way, and my third attempt came up reasonable, though not ideal.

The chain and chainwheel come as separate parts, the chain having an "L"-shaped section, to rest over the chainwheel. I decided it would be too hard to get this looking reasonable, so put them together in the more usual single flat part. I did add an extra layer either side of the chain, though, to give a little depth.

Another Yamaha YZF-R1M-b-reararm1.jpg Another Yamaha YZF-R1M-b-reararm2.jpg

Then they could go together, to check for fit and alignment. Fortunately it was OK.

Another Yamaha YZF-R1M-c-frame-arm1.jpg Another Yamaha YZF-R1M-c-frame-arm2.jpg

More soon.
Alan