View Single Post

Old 01-13-2017, 04:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.26 MB
In the Dalek invasion of Earth episode (their second appearance), the Daleks actually have a little dish antenna mounted on the back, supposedly to receive broadcast power (who knew Daleks had a Tesla, right?). Later they added the set of plates around the "shoulder" area, supposedly as solar panels, although they are often called armor plates in some plans.

However, the Christopher Eccleston series was not the first with flying Daleks: in the Sylvester McCoy ep. Reminiscence of the Daleks (come one, it's one of his best, surely one of you saw it!) there are two distinct sets of Daleks, one stock, the other a new technology edition re-engineered by Davros. These have a sort of Detroit show car quality about them - they are cleaner, all white, and have quite different lights (sort of a sleek, streamlined teardrop car fender light. I suspect some Brit car fiend could probably identify which make they borrowed them from) and in one of the cliffhangers, one of them levitates right up a set of stairs! The daleks in the them are actually more evolved as well, with added bits.

If you look quick at the shot from The Space Museum above, you'll see that there are 4 castors in the corners and a big hole in the center. In other words, that's an actual Dalek "suit" and not just a prop. That's supposed to be the Frankenstein monster trashing it, btw, one of the animatronic exhibits in the museum.

But I know I've seen propulsor spheres on Dalek plans pre-Eccleston, with the idea that they sort of levitated just off the floor. Other versions, though, showed a big ball in the center they rolled on (I remember seeing a cutaway illustration like this), with no other "castors". Which, yes, fits the static power version.

That shot from the Dalek invasion of earth serials was one of the best Dalek cliffhangers EVER. very well done - and on location. bet it warped the heck out of the plywood, however.

Turns out the ugly design of the dalek I linked to above is actually the Matt Smith version (shudder). Hellsword has a better version (still ugly):

Hellsword Papercraft: Doctor Who Dalek Papercraft

however, the current Dr. Who has gone a little crazy with the Daleks, IMHO. They used to be formidable, but two units of UNIT Troops could hold one off with rifles. Now one Daleck can take out an army. Boooo-Ring.

The cybermen have become equally invincible and equally dull. Is it just that we have so little imagination that if something isn't an instant threat we can't grasp it anymore?