View Single Post

Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cab finished

Thanks again guys, well appreciated . The picture of the boiler being transported is full of contrasts. A modern truck transporting an old-fashioned heat exchanger dating back from the thirties (probably overhauled a few times if not fully replaced at some time) and even older architecture in the backdrop. And I wouldn't even dare to mention that - indeed - it's all on the wrong side of the road.

Never mind, whatever. The work on the cab is finished, in between a busy schedule, both at work and private, I was able to find a few minutes every day for the past one and a half weeks.

The first pictures show the missing "home made" filler between boiler front and cab. The shape was a bit of trial and error but accurate enough to serve its purpose. I used Tamiya Medium Blue for coloring.

Next is the roof. I had to cut out a small wedge from the inside roof panel to make it fit satisfactorily to the cab dimensions but apart from that, all fitted well. By looking at actual pictures I concluded that the outside roof panel is slightly too narrow, as it should protrude slightly on either side of the cab walls. So I extended it. Also I detailed the sliding hatches, rims and some of the rivets. The roof gives stability to the cab walls, that's for sure.

One other thing is the arrow shaped top part. This is in fact part of the first boiler segment (part no. 1) but I advise to cut it away during assembly of the boiler body. It's very vulnerable during handling and gets damaged easily. Besides, due to the scaling error of the boiler body segments, it is too large to fit onto the roof. Here you definitely have to use the rescaled body parts. Refer to Diderick's comments earlier in this thread.

You may note the color differences between the various grey sections of the roof. Some are the result of color variations between the various model parts, others because of copies I made to prepare the additional details.

Owing to the scaling error of the boiler body, I had to make small cuts in the first body segment at the connection to the cab to get proper alignment. To hide these corrections I have glued narrow strips of paper, which sort of resemble the actual situation. They are visible in the last pictures.

Finally two side views of what the model looks like now.

Next will be the third cylinder, at the underside of the locomotive.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4275.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4276.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4277.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4289.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4290.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4302.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4303.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4310.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4311.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4312.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4313.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4314.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4315.jpg