View Single Post

Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines, Skyline Papermodels

Yes, I'm still working on the A-4 Pacific engine, but could no longer resist the call for making an aircraft. There's this beautiful DC-9-31 by Skyline Papermodels, 1:72 and available in several different liveries. I chose the Eastern Airlines version (perhaps because it resembles the KLM livery, which as Sumato once explained is not allowed by KLM to be used - sometimes Dutch are weird) and intend to work on and off on this model as a quick breakaway from the complicated steam locomotive. Rest assured, everything started will be finished . That's a firm promise.

I slightly reduced the scale of the model to 96% of its original scale to ensure it properly fits on A4 size paper, so the actual scale is 1:75 rather than the original 1:72. Used 160 grams paper, which is thick enough to provide stability but also flexible to shape easily.

Work starts with the cockpit section, which includes the nose gear bay. Everythings fits perfectly. I find that connecting a few segments before installing the formers results in much better control over smoothing out the seams, simply as the former is not in the way.

Not all of the joining strips (the longitudinal ones to close the segments) are provided with the model and also for the cockpit windows you have to fix some of your own but that's no problem. The rear view pictures show some of all the small strips of 80 grams paper I have been using for this purpose.

Well, that's it for now - see you next time.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4386.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4387.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4388.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4389.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4391.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4393.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4394.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4395.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4396.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4397.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4427.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4398.jpg  

Last edited by Erik Zwaan; 02-13-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Changing the title