View Single Post

Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara

After my success of the 4 build set of BB's I decided to try this with some CA's. In this case 4 navies, 4 ships.

IJN Nachi - Angraf
USS Salt Lake City - WAK
DKM Hipper - GPM
RM Zara - Wak

I framed each one using Laser Cut,The Nachi uses dual bulkheads for a thicker fram than the other 3.

As a result of an error on my part I had to manually fabricate lower hull plate 16. Most of the cent plates are too short in my opinion to warp around the hull so I split each one. In addition there is inadequate support for the bulges so I filled the lower hull with balsa strips and sanded the shape. Ultimately I like this so much I decided to do each one this way. I plan to paint Nachi except for the deck surfaces and not sure the model fit is good enough for my skills to do it any other way. Like Kongo before, I believe this model will build into a great kit, just can't rely on fit up. The hull sides cam up short at the stern as seen in the picture. I'm also not a fan of the many individual plates at the bow, consider WAK uses well designed sheets that formed amazing well to get a rake (later). I will add the shafts and rudder later and will paint after they are installed.

Anyone with a hint on how to mask a paper hull, please let me know. This kit uses bulge and armor plate covering that has the gray/red transition printed in so I won't be able to free hand paint while relying on the seem between the upper and lower plates to provide a 3D guide.

Joe,
Attached Thumbnails
IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250001.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250004.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250005.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250006.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250007.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250008.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250009.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250010.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250011.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250012.jpg  

IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250013.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250014.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250015.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250016.jpg   IJN Nachi / USS S.L. City, DKM Hipper, RM Zara-p2250017.jpg