View Single Post

Old 03-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Well, there wasn't even more than a well spent day between this one and my previous post. I hope it was noticed anyway..

I discovered a little but quite annoying mistake in the cranes of the truck. They weren't able to reach all the way back like they should. In the original build configuration they only could manage to raise to 80º but they needed to make it to at least 120, preferably 130º backward. So I took them apart and redesigned it all, even though I promised myself I wouldn't tinker with it too much.

I created a new set of pistons to let the arms sweep back almost twice as far. The new set of pistons shove over the original ones, and inside I created tiny rings acting as stops to keep the pistons from escaping the shafts.
I remade the outer piston shaft to be able to hold both new pistons at once (although it kept the same width).

I also reinforced the pivot points with some spare same-colour parts. Now they are more solidly attached to the arms and can't rip loose that easily.

I tested it all and then I reassembled the cranes. Next, I'll add another small detail which was left out in the original kit; the second set of pistons that extend the arms further out. Not all of the 4906 truks have it but no. 87 does. After that, the cranes will receive a nice and thorough weathering. But that is something for later next week.

(PS. for some reason, some pictures appear upside down. But when you actually click to view them, they'll appear right side up. Don't know what went wrong..)
Attached Thumbnails
Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-9.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-8.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-7.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-6.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-5.jpg  

Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-4.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-3.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-2.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-upload_-1.jpg