View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Verily. I have the complete Terry and the Pirates, the wartime Buzz Sawyer, and the complete Scorchy Smith in hardback editions and still like to dip into them now and again.

My Pacific War Strategy on-line elective is underway and this summer I will do my graduate seminar on the Pacific War. During the session on the China-Burma-India Theater, we are sure to point out that Flip Corkin was closely based on Phil Cochran (Milton Caniff's classmate at the Ohio State University), who led the 33rd Fighter Groups lead elements into North Africa, commanded the 58th Fighter Squadron, mentored the Tuskegee Airmen of the 99th Fighter Squadron when many other senior officers were shunning them, and then co-commanded the 1st Air Commando (Cochran's Glamour Girls) in Burma. I was very pleased to have elements of the 1st Air Commando supporting our Vietnamese battalion in Vietnam 1966-67.

I'm reasonably certain that John will not object to this short diversion from the topic of B-17s, especially since we got here by way of Miss Lace, who, in real life, was Dorothy Partington, shown below being drawn by Milton Caniff.

Have a great Navy day, YankeeBoy.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Flying Fortress-caniff_flip_corkin.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-philip_g__cochran.jpg   B-17 Flying Fortress-dorothy-partington_miss-lace.jpg