View Single Post

Old 04-25-2017, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Then Toddlea announced free model contest # 5:

Free Model Contest #5

And I thought I'd give it another try. By this time I had done some research on the KPC, and thought it would be interesting to build it as the Mount Vernon. I decided to correct the errors that I could. I thought it would be too difficult to restructure the hull, so I decided to go with it as a waterline. I started by reprinting the ship, then photocopying the scan onto blue paper. Then I cut out the hull, punched out the portholes, and flipped the parts over so the port side became the starboard, and starboard became port. Then I glued thin cardboard over the insides so what you see is a light blue hull with grey portholes. Incidentally, some of the portholes were in the wrong places, and the anchors were printed on. I matched the portholes to the actual photographs, and I plan to construct anchors at a later point. All of the decks were reinforced with cardboard, as I always do with my ships. And the siderails were reinforced with a backing of card stock. And I painted the dazzle camo as close as possible to the photographs, by counting portholes.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-vernon-printouts.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-vernon-hull-flats.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-hull-1.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-decks-left-right.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-decks-top-bottom.jpg