View Single Post

Old 05-14-2017, 02:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Dear friends,
Thank you very much for your kind words and all your compliments, I appreciate all your comments a lot. I am really pleased and honored, you like my work.I feel happy to be again with you all and be able to share my project here. I believe you will find plenty of useful information and ideas in this project, but as I always say - there are many things, that I could make better and it is necessary to learn and try to improve. Thank you also for the nice inspiration and interesting ideas which you bring in your building logs, I browse them with a great pleasure.

On the recommendation of the Captain K.L., who is an excellent expert in the field of shipbuiliding and the history, I have decided to add another layer of planking = the girdling. Some information about this technology, that was used on real ships in 17th century, you can find in the book by Brian Lavery: The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815; pages 57, 60.

The girdling is probably unknown technology in ship modeling, but the relevant records prove that it was necessary to perform on some ships, whose hull had excessive draft and lower gunports were just above water. The girdling helped to improve the displacement. Of course, it was an unnatural interference into the original construction.
My target is to make the model as accurate as possible based on historical accuracy, and according to records Royal Katherine was girdled soon after launching.
There are more information and pics also in the Czech forum, but you need to use translator.
DiskusnĂ* fĂłrum modelářů • Zobrazit tĂ©ma - HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664, vlastnĂ* projekt, 1:55
DiskusnĂ* fĂłrum modelářů • Zobrazit tĂ©ma - HMS ROYAL KATHERINE 1664, vlastnĂ* projekt, 1:55