View Single Post

Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks Yeti, Pericles, and Don.

The F-84F is nearly complete, but I am tied up with running an on-line USAWC forum and getting ready for the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event this weekend.

Don - Some of the early FG jets are problematic. The Grumman F9F, for example, is unbuildable for anyone at my skill level, although John Glessner has turned it into a beautiful model. I am assisting Scott Fyn in a project to identify FG models that have serious fit problems, as well as those that fit well and are suitable for beginners. https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/review

The F-86 goes together well, although I had to trim the upper forward edge of the rear fuselage section to ensure the fuselage was straight. However, I am not sure if this is an issue with the kit or my having not cut the parts out precisely. There are some other issues with the F-86: the nose wheel assembly is inaccurate, the canopy appears a little too big, and the buzz number is for a different aircraft. But it builds easily and looks nice, although I have a way to go on making the cut lines on the canopy look less noticeable.

The more recent kits, like the F-84F are excellent. The F-84F and P-80 were designed by Rob Carleen and Kancho Iliev. The graphics are first rate and the fit of parts for the F-84F has been pretty near perfect.

In the future, I will provide assembly images and comments for the F-86 and F-84F. I have printed out the P-80 and the parts for the Thunderbirds F-84G.

I have competing paper model projects underway (Vietnam 50, IJA fighters, Pearl Harbor, and assorted tanks) and planned (Martin bombers, US Navy 50s fighters, the Triumph air group in July 1950, and on and on), and I build very slowly, often have to start over due to poor craftsmanship, and am easily distracted, so this may take a while.

But I hope that you will at least see the completed F-84F on Saturday, Don.

More later,

Don (too)