Thread: RAF Molesworth
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
RAF Molesworth

I had an uncle who fought in WW2 as a member of the 45th ID during the Sicily, Italy, and southern France campaign. His wife had a brother who was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 that flew out of Molesworth in England.

I looked up the place using Google Maps and noticed there was an area north of the village still designated as RAF Molesworth, but instead of an airfield it looks to be a storage area. Being curious about the WW2 airfield I went looking for any photographs of the area taken during WW2 and found an aerial photo of the airfield. What strikes me is how easy it was to compare the 1944 photo with the present day overhead view because most of the farmer's fields surrounding the location still look the same. It makes me wonder how far back those fields go in their present configuration and the laws and customs that regulate the shape and ownership. Probably goes back many generations and centuries.