View Single Post

Old 06-04-2017, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Pic 1: If this staircase went straight out from the roof like the others, it would land on the skylight. In the next pic you can't really see the staircase, but it looks like it might go down sideways. The roof has a red rectangle printed on it, don't know what it's supposed to represent, a skylight? Looks like a weird place for a hatch cover. The area represented by the red rectangle in Pic 2 looks like it might be a couple of vent funnels surrounded by a pile of life rafts. I have to think about what to do there.

Pics 2 and 3: The third mast has a watch tower platform, and a crane is attached to the aft end of the ship. The original model has two skylights in this area. I don't know if the crane was original to KPC or if it was added during the MV conversion. And what did the crane do? Closer examination of the photo shows only one lifeboat high on the stern, and the crane swings over them. There is one davit on the port side, but two davits on the starboard. And no vents on this deck. So I'm going to have to re-do that whole deck.

When I started this, I thought it would simply be recoloring the hull and adding some deck guns. Between correcting errors in the original model and adding details it's gotten to be a bear. I've been working on this almost every night for 5 months now, and the contest deadline is sneaking up fast.

Pic 4: My version of the watch tower. Looking back at the photograph, I think the upright supports should have been more splayed out, more eliptical. My version is straight vertical like a gazebo. I don't think I have time to correct this so there it is. Will probably paint the thing grey or light blue though.
Attached Thumbnails
Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-aft-sundeck-stairs.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-stern-closeup.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-aft-crane-deck.jpg   Toddlea's free model contest #5 - USAT Mount Vernon-gun-tower.jpg