View Single Post

Old 06-18-2017, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Time goes fast and there was a lot to do in that period. PLease, please, bear with me, the actual space component will definitely come. However, this vehicle also has everything to do with spaceflight and its peripherals. So I still think this vehicle belongs in this part of the forum.
But still, today we're talking about wheel suspension. This car has six of 'em. And they're all quite complex. Luckily, Maxim sent me all the pictures he had of the real thing, some of them I never saw before. With those and the drawing and some common sense, I assembled the first of the suspension sets.
Now there is one small issue here: the wheels are able to turn but not able to rotate. I might have missed something here with an inner and an outer hub which might have been used for making the wheels rollable but since this isn't a toy and it will remain stationary on a shelf in the end, I decided after a loooooooooong thought to keep it as is and not try to make the wheels more moveable.

So, let's strart for a change with the finished element, the assembled suspension. So how does it work? The suspension consists of a base plate, a cap protruding from it which holds a big horizontal bar on the bottom, where the suspension arms will go. The upper arms go on to the base plate.
The drawing in the instructions was a bit hard to understand so I made an exploded view drawing of it all.
I ended up with a reasonably looking suspension but initially I built it on to to the wheel. This, I realised, was impractical with alignment and position of the wheels. Especially since the protruding arms of the suspension sets the wheel in a weird camber, in a grotesque angle, if you will. So I carefully took the wheel off from the suspension. I had to bend the lower arms a bit to make the wheel stand vertically, but for now I'll leave the wheels off until the suspensions are on the truck. Then I will add the wheels and have them all in the right camber and position..

Now I still have to do five suspension sets. Then it is up to the details like hinged hatches and windows, some tiny thingamajigs here and there and then it is on to the Soyuz capsule. It won't be long any more now... (-:
Attached Thumbnails
Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100490.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100408.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100410.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100413.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100415.jpg  

Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100419.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100425.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100483.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100485.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-p1100487.jpg  

Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-new-rotating-wheel-2.jpg   Down to Earth: the ZIL 4906-suspension-assy.jpg