View Single Post

Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You are doing your usual superb job on this fascinating and exceptionally complex ship. It meets my definition of being "fomby."

The useful word "fomby" was invented my friend Jim Reuter (JimR in this Forum) and me when we were teenagers in the 1950s to describe any piece of machinery that is ugly, but appealing -- A-10 aircraft, Russian tanks with more than five turrets, 1920s Mack and Scammell trucks, Victorian battleships and armored cruisers, Fairey Barracudas, many steam engines, and almost any Fleet Air Arm aircraft of the 1920s and 30s except the Fairey IIIF and the Hawker Nimrod.

We invented the word while reading the then-newly-published Harleyford book on Aircraft Camouflage and Markings (https://www.amazon.com/AIRCRAFT-CAMO.../dp/B00FN23XRC) and coming across a side view of an RAF Coastal Command Vickers Wellington with stickleback antennas, a chin radar, and Leigh light installation, and having the unit code "MBY" and the aircraft letter "F" so that, with the roundel, it spelled out "FOMBY."

"It certainly IS "fomby" said Jim.

And so it was and, to my eye, so is FPSO Petrojarl Cidade de Rio das Ostras.

Even the NAME exudes fombicity.

Don