View Single Post

Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
I have been working on the superstructures for the boats.

For the big boat I have made a quick test just to get a feel for size and potential assembly challenges. Once this gets more thought and good texturing it should make for an impressive sekibune or atakebune (depending on which underboat you use).

Here you have it on the flat bow ...

... and the same on the pointed bow version.

Also later I need to add the little house and the mast to make it complete.

For the medium boat, I have already worked to a more advanced level. These "fortifications" seem to be mounted on a structure that is extending over the sides of the ship. From the pictures I have seen, I am guessing that the rowing oars are put in water through the spaces between the ship wall and the shielding wall.

I have seen a couple of version. I will be doing this low wall version and then - once the unfold is final - another version as shown in the renderings above, where there is a framework of sorts where they would drape cloth to catch arrows being fired at them.

This is the medium boat superstructure on its own ...

... and in place on the boats.

I am still tinkering on the best unfold solution to make for the easy build and tolerating small errors and different paper weight used.

I tried out how many figures I can put in one boat (This is an older prototype without the crossing bars)

I could not try that for the big boat as the structure I have now is very weak. But to give you an impression of scale I put all the boats together. I think the big boat will be a nice centerpiece and could be an eye catcher on a gaming table or display shelf!

Now I need to get serious with the large boat superstructure! The design is quite simple but as it is very large I need to work with parts, larger than one page, so I have to use a similar overlap gluing design approach like I did with the large levels of the Samurai Castle.

In my mind I am dressing my white prototypes with texturing ... and they look great