View Single Post

Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,
somehow I still miss the right bite for this gutters chapter, but it does not help, and therefore I have to swallow this pill ...

Therefore, I first have drawn a template for the making of the gutter parts, which is unfortunately somewhat pale,

and then I have cut a further sample strip for the Gutter-3 from a champagne cork foil, which slightly tapers to the corner, in order to get the appropriate gradient of this gutter part.

The punched opening for the downspout (8'') is located at the beginning, immediately next to the girder at the end of the Bay 17, as can be seen in this image.

Source: Library of Congress

And this stripe I then have pre-molded step-by-step on my Rolling Set,

by using core wires with decreasing diameters,

down to the last groove,

with this intermediate result.

For further molding of the gutter, I then have pressed the gutter with the core wire vigorously into a foam strip,

whereby unwanted kinks can be avoided, as can be seen.

Between two balsa slats the rounding was then still somewhat equalized.

Since the wider strip end inevitably gets rounded a little too far using the thinnest core wire (Ø 1.5 mm), the gutter part has been equalized again over a rounded plastic strip (5 mm x 1.5 mm) in order to obtain an U-shaped profile.

Here the gradient of the gutter can be seen very well already.

And here one can see the Gutter-3 in the side view with the prepared bended downspout, which is running into the downspout at the end of the Bay 16.

After this successful attempt, I can now also make the final Gutter-3 from the aluminum sheet (0.1 mm).

The Gutter-2 will then be formed in an analogous manner, but this time immediately from an aluminum sheet strip of 99 mm × 5 mm, since its height is the same over the entire length.
That's it so far, and thanks for looking.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)