View Single Post

Old 07-09-2017, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
After a little break, I'm back:

It looks like a soda can with several straws, but it's actually a ion refinery. The trickiest part is the main hull: big barrel with chamfered edges where many things can warp and twist. I added two internal formers to be sure:

It might not have been the best idea ever to edge-glue the chamfering strips, but I wanted to try it. It's actually possible and the result doesn't look bad, just the inner circle must be glued step by step. Sticking the whole lid to the barrel is trivial. Joint of the cylinder is located at the top where it will be visible, so it's necessary to make it look good and at least use a separate tab strip.

The starboard winglike structure is surprisingly strong because its trailing edge overlaps the chamfered end of the hull, so no lamination is needed. Just the boxes at the end are a bit floppy, but it doesn't matter since they carry no load. Pay attention to alignment of the long tube - it's good to install it together with the box it sticks out from, after the wing base has been glued to the hull. The four smaller wings like to twist, they would benefit from being stuffed with cardboard (this applies to following two ships as well, their wings look the same). The flange connecting the ship to Orca needs to be installed backwards to align airlock doors (but it only affects textures, not buildability).