View Single Post

Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
Thanks for the interest Herky and Don.
I made a start on the flight deck and immediately ran into a problem. I decided to scale a three view drawing from Aircraft Carriers by Roger Chesneau to fit the deck to the width of the hull of the Colossus. The Colossus class flight deck was a little wider than the Majestic class, to which the Melbourne belongs, but not enough to make too much of a difference.But as you can see in the picture, it came out much longer than The Colossus deck. The drawing I am
Using agrees with some others I have found on the net, but it was hard to figure out what scale they were as I wasn't sure where the Melbourne flight deck measurements I had were taken.
I reduced the length to 84%, but then it didn't look right. I finally did what I should have done first. I compared the model Colossus deck measurements to the real measurements. It is the correct length, but about 1cm too wide if my calculations are correct.
So now I am not sure if Barry's model is going to be of much use to me. The too large Melbourne flight deck is very close to 1/300 scale. I might make it at that scale instead,as I have to scratch build most of it anyhow. And it will be easier to make the air wing in 1/300.
On the other hand I spent $9 on the Colossus, and I don't want that to go to waste. So maybe I can tweak the Colossus parts to fit. Whatever way Inchiose, it is all part of the fun.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
HMAS Melbourne R21-img_7724.jpg