View Single Post

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 102.95 MB
I don't have much to show, but it took a good deal of research and head scratching to get this far. I have finally settled on a plan for the deck. I am
Making it as it was when it was retired in the early eighties. I only ever saw it once. I was on a school excursion to the state art gallery of New South Wales. It is across a bay from the main Naval base in Sydney. From a window in the library I got an excellent view of the Melbourne. It was quite sad as I knew it's career was over.
My original drawing just didn't look right, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I came across other drawings on the internet, including some RAN blue prints of the front and rear of the deck. I couldn't find the middle part. Anyhow on my original drawings the overhang was about 10mm to far forward and the island was about 10mm too far back. Combined, it made the front of the deck look too long. I had already made a hybrid plan using two different drawings to correct some errors at the rear of the deck. If I had found the drawings I used earlier it would have saved a lot of time. But I did enjoy the time spent solving the problem, and learnt a great deal about the differences between all the ships of the Colossus and Majestic class.
Hopefully I can start construction soon.
In the picture below the top deck is from Barry's Colossus, the middle is the one I will use and the bottom is the hybrid with the incorrect overhangs.
Attached Thumbnails
HMAS Melbourne R21-img_7739.jpg