View Single Post

Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Farmhouse

OK. For all practical purposes, the old farmhouse is done. I'll likely add some trim to the vertical walls, but as far as this model, I'm ready to get back to the block party down on Main Street. As I said before, this was a home I've wanted to model since the 1970's and I had fun doing it. I changed up some minor things on the parts sheets and made correction as I went, so the next build should go fairly easy. Note that I did the porch posts in the appropriate colors. I'm not sure why I left them in black. Brain fade due to heat maybe? The next incarnation of this model will be of a haunted version. Work has started on that, but we'll take some time with it.

Some of my builds-7-22-2017-001.jpg Some of my builds-7-22-2017-003.jpg Some of my builds-7-22-2017-004.jpg Some of my builds-7-22-2017-005.jpg

This homes' construction started in 1869 on the partial foundation of a previous residence. Both homes were built by Edmond White of New Providence (now Borden), Indiana. He bought a 400 acre farm in 1858 that sat on top of Bartle Knob Hill, between New Providence and Memphis, In. He put an addition onto the existing house and built a new barn across the road to house the hemp operation he started that year. Hemp was a growing business crop in that area of Clark County back then. It was hilly, of course, so a lot of the crops grown down 'on the flats' didn't fair as well on the fertile, but rocky soil on the hills. So, beside the garden where small amounts of food was grow for the household, most of these farms were either cattle or sheep operations. Edmond changed that.
Hemp was used for many things in the 1800's, but the biggest demand for it's use was in making rope. Mr. White had learned about it's importance during his time spent at the University of Louisville while studying law. He negotiated a contract with a Louisville firm that manufactured rope, and did very well for himself in the first couple of years.
In the winter of 1861, with the possibility of war looming closer, he convinced a dozen other farmers to convert their farms to hemp. The military needed more rope and Edmond saw the opportunity for him and his neighbors to be one of those sources. They formed a Co-op, re-negotiated the contract and hoped each could see a little profit from a situation none of them really wanted to see happen. What happened is that they all became, if not down right wealthy, very well off.
Seems the strain of hemp they grew up there made most excellent rope for maritime use; both salt and fresh water. With the military just starting to use sciences and testing to 'prove' a materials use, the Navy found that the rope that came from Louisville was some of the best produced in the nation! By 1865, not only had the size of the farms and the Co-op grown, they also acquired majority ownership in the factory that turned their raw product into the much demanded finished product.
Edmond White was only 32 years old in 1868 when, as President of the Co-op and the factory, he decided the time to marry had come. Having lost his first house to lightning that fall, he decided to build a grand home on the same site at the top of the hill. It would be a testament to his stature in the community, but more importantly, as a wonderful gift to his wife for waiting for him 'to make it' in the years they had been engaged.
That is how such a home came to be built in the rural Southern Indiana hill country. Of course there is more to the story, but for now, I remind myself that this is a build thread and not a history lesson! (The haunted version will cover more of that!)

Been windy enough for one day! Hope everyone is safe and comfortable today!
George