View Single Post

Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I think it's settled:

"UC-64A #44-70285 was olive with gray bottom as of 15Dec44. We have two photos of the aircraft taken with the line maintenance chief at Abbots Ripton circa Nov44 or early Dec44. Please go to the University of Colorado Glenn Miller Archive web site and click the Reports page and read our detailed 15Dec44 white papers. #44-70285 was pulled off line on 12Dec44 for a carburetor inspection and a part replacement due to numerous instances of carburetor de-icing equipment failure with other aircraft of this type operating in the UK in Nov44 and early Dec44. THE 8th AAF lost eight UC-64A utility aircraft in the month prior to 15Dec44 due to equipment malfunctions (engine).
It is commonly misunderstood that the aircraft reamined in bare alumimum because the factory in Canada sent them out in this manner starting on the date you cite. However, upon arrival in-theatre the 8th AAF Service Command painted this aircraft standard olive. The wheel wells remained bare aluminum. We would be happy to share the aircraft records with you.
Dennis M. Spragg
Glenn Miller Archive
University of Colorado at Boulder"

All I need to do is make some tweaks to the olive Norseman, and it's done.