View Single Post

Old 08-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good story, deltapike, that tracks very closely with the documented history (except for the safe landing in France - would that it had been true): the mark of good historical fiction.

I do not have the Modelcraft model or decal sheet, but I notice an image of the instructions on the Internet (http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net...6cc7854ceb.jpg ) that shows and OD/Gray model with D-Day invasion stripes on the underside of the fuselage only. It is not clear if this is the "Glenn Miller" aircraft or not. What does the actual kit material say, deltapike? I have long speculated that the aircraft carrying Glenn Miller might well have had the vestiges of the D-Day markings as late as December 1944.

Another apparent anomaly: in Dennis Spragg's book, Glenn Miller Declassified (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2017), he consistently refers to 44-70285 as a C-64C. I thought that the C model was the floatplane version, but am far from an expert on this topic. What do you say, deltapike?

My impression, without actually having tried to track down his sources or compare the book with other accounts, is that Spragg did a thorough job of research. He convinces me (as was the case with Murph) that the story of the Norseman being struck by jettisoned bombs from a Lancaster is improbable (which does cast a shadow on Joe Baugher's information).

You clearly know more about this issue than I do, deltapike, and I look forward to hearing more from you (but please differentiate the documented history from the creative writing - you do it so well that I can't differentiate the two in your writing).

Meanwhile, I will continue listening to String of Pearls.

Don