Thread: Hut No. 1
View Single Post

Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hut No. 1

Well, we all have to start somewhere.
Whilst planning for my embryo 4mm:ft layout, I considered the construction of the station building in card, but wondered about the most appropriate way of painting it. This sounds like a case of putting the proverbial cart before the horse but, I reasoned, if I spend goodness knows how long constructing a masterpiece (!) and then ruin by not painting it properly or well, I shall have wasted much time and effort and be demoralised to boot.
I can think of three different ways of painting such a a model: 1. Using enamels 2. Using acrylics 3. using watercolours and there are probably others, too.
I decided as an experiment to use acrylics since no solvents are required, they dry very quickly allowing overpainting where necessary very soon after a coat has been applied, they are accessible (in my case they're sold by local hardware-cum-model shop) are relatively inexpensive, can be applied by brush or airbrush (or both) and tend not to attract dust. They are, of course, water based, which could be a disadvantage when modelling in card.
That little lot thought through, I quickly drew up a small hut, transferred this to cereal packet cardboard (with windows in Bristol board) cut it out, glued it together, sealed the inner and outer surfaces with acrylic medium (matte) then sprayed with white car undercoat (also acrylic, as it turned out) and left to dry thoroughly overnight.
The following day I brush painted using a stone colour for the hut 'body' a green (viridian, I think), both being BR(E) colours, and a slate paper ('Scalescenes') for the roof. So, here it is, the painting method works. What doesn't work particularly well is the design of the hut, but I can live with it.
Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Hut No. 1-hut-no.-1-exp.jpg