Thread: X-wing
View Single Post

Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks a lot, guys!

causticphlegm: I like the Falcon's design too, but not enough to devote several years to recreate the intricate surface detailing like Rabe from kartonbau.de I've built the small corvette model from the same page as the xwing comes from, though.

Fargo: some new, high-res pictures of the filming models appeared on net lately, so now it's better time to build a model of X-wing than ever Well, I am interested, but low on time - I'm building the Ebon Hawk too, and I'm going to start working on a wooden snowspeeder, that may or may not be a base for a paper model once, who knows.

Part 2 - the wings

Here's the wing (upper left) prototype. I don't have much wip pictures, so I'll post the finished product first:

I'm building the other 3 wings atm, with some adjustments to the construction. As a result the other three wings won't be exactly like the protowing, but the general shape and dimensions will remain the same.
The wings are completely scratch-build, with the base skeleton made from 1mm cardstock. The engine pod dimensions are the same as in original model, so I'll be able to fit them to the unmodified wing axis "cage". The wing dimensions are taken from Finemolds' 1/72 X-wing. The skeleton then gets covered by paper layer with needle-engraved panels. The aft engine tube is from the original model, except from the exhaust nozzle, which has some extra detailing inside. The original model missed the openings on the inner side of wings, through which you can see the internal structure of the wing, so I added those. I painted the internals with somewhat darker color than the fuselage (revell matt 57, used on some of the panels too) and used black watercolor to make them look dirty.
Of course, the surface is heavily detailed with many stripes and blocks again, to imitate the filming models.

And some mockup shots at the end. The canopy and droidplate aren't glued on the fuselage yet, the wings will be mounted first. Then I'll make the backplate, the droid's head and finally the lasercannons. At least, that's the plan :D