View Single Post

Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,
on my macros it always looks so huge. But that is not the case, how this photo here from my normal working position at the desk shows, whereby I hope that you do not ask now, where the support is ...

The problem with this matter is the extremely difficult handling of these tiny parts, as well as their fragility, since the bottom edge of the sickle is only 0.1 mm "wide".

But by the glueing with the lower flange the things at least stand upright, which might perhaps facilitate the later assembly on the gutter.

The stupid is only that there are hardly any suitable places to grab with the tweezer, because only the front approximately 1 mm long but very narrow part (0.3 mm) comes into question, since the lower edge (0, 6 mm x 1.6 mm) must be accessible for the MEK brush.

The tip of the scissors tweezer is almost too large and also squeezes this front narrow web too much, which is why you need a different solution.

I had first helped me with a clamp over a normal tweezer, whose bite was tolerable thereby.

And this clamp handle must now be positioned only still centrically over the fixed narrow strip, and then the pointed MEK brush comes.

For glueing together the supports onto the gutter I imagine that I fix the gutter with the rounding upwards at an end stop, and then the supports are sinked in the clamp grip over the roundness and carefully painted with MEK, after which they hopefully stick. This sounds adventurous indeed, but could work.

Before the assembly of the gutter, the next tricky procedure of the airbrush painting would come, presumably first outside and then inside, for which I still have to think over a skillful holder for these fragile structures.

And not until then when the complete gutter is painted with all the supports, it can be glued to the top edge of the MLP, what is still a mystery to me.

But somehow I'll make it, I think, even if the gutters should get some bumps, but the real gutters had also their traces of usage back then ...

Source: NASA
But initially I still have to struggle with the rest of the supports ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)