View Single Post

Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Matt Bergstrom's Commemorative Tank

I have built Matt Bergstrom’s Sherman tank that he designed for the 20th International Paper Modelers’ Convention. Image 1

Very well designed, Matt! All the parts fit together very well. Image 2

I printed the model on 67# Neenah Bright White Premium card and used a Tombow light blue gray 491 artist pen and Caran D’Ache Neocolor II chrome oxide green 7500.212 water soluble wax crayon to color the edges.

The only change I made was to cut out a cardboard ring and disk painted black to block off the interior and, with a slot cut into it, to give the tank commander a place to sit. Image 3

The gun rotates on a trunnion made from a rolled cylinder that pivots on a wire run through two flanges on the turret face. It is visible, along with the hatch ring and a cardboard disk to reinforce the turret race, in Image 4.

I was reminded that, if all else fails, read the instructions! On my first attempt at fabricating the turret, I glued up the lower tabs first. Quel désastre! Then I realized that Matt’s instructions clearly show that the top tabs are to be glued up first. Image 5. I did it that way on the second try, and all went well.

So, I will have at least one tank on my table at the IPMC.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
2017 International Paper Modelers' Convention-impc20_tank_01.jpg   2017 International Paper Modelers' Convention-impc20_tank_02.jpg   2017 International Paper Modelers' Convention-impc20_tank_03.jpg   2017 International Paper Modelers' Convention-impc20_tank_04.jpg   2017 International Paper Modelers' Convention-impc20_tank_05.jpg