View Single Post

Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Thanks guys!
First, let me say that I know the hurricane that rolled thru Texas was Harvey; Harry was my 'pet name' for it (Yes, I have a very warped sense of humor). A week and a half ago, what was left of him came thru the Ohio Valley as 4 to 6 inches of rain (Nothing compared to what Texas received). Today, Irma (I cannot tell you my 'pet name' for her) is visiting us in the form of, you guessed it, rain and a little wind. That was my cue to try and catch up a bit today.
Don, finding out neat little tidbits of history about my area, city and neighborhood is one of the many aspects of this hobby for me. Going beyond the published history books and articles, and digging into old newspapers, memoirs that have been donated to our local libraries, and just talking to long time residents of the area, has been one of the rewards I find rewarding. And I'm glad you like my little models. As I've said before, they help keep a little piece of the history around, even if the physical building disappears.
VK, I have of yet, not really put the word out to anyone ,other that family and friends, that I am willing to sell my models. As with the Zimmerman building models I've sold, it was a family member or a neighbor who told them about me and my 'obsession'. We have gotten together, agreed on a subject and price and then I just have to cut and build! You recommended the local historical society and such to me a while back, but I have yet had time to get to one of their meetings. I hope that after the front of the house is done, to have some time to let people know what I do. Not so much form a money standpoint (though it helps to pay for ink and cardstock), but for the information that can be gained about my 'subject matter'! If I do figure out how to 'get myself' out there, it would make for a great article to share with all our fellow modelers, don't you think?
OK. Even though I'm not outside working on the house today, the doctors decided I needed to be poked and prodded some more (so they can tell me they still don't know why I had my chest pains a while back), so, it's off to the local hospital for a few more tests this afternoon.
PS: A pic of the rebuilt front porch. The project started out to just replace the railings, as they were falling out, off and apart. As I took them off, I discovered that the column bases were rotting and the porch had dropped nearly two inches. So, jack up the porch, remove the columns and bases. Add 4X4s to hold porch. Rebuild bases around the new posts, take old columns apart and reassemble around said posts, THEN do what was originally planned; new rails and stiles. But when the wife saw how nicely it all looked in it's original form, WE had to go back with all the original colors. More sanding, priming and painting that what I had planned on this year (I was wanting to wait till next spring for this phase of the project). This is as it appeared in 1916 when it was finally finished, even down to the restored door bell button. Please excuse the construction junk! I took this pic at 7:00AM this morning.
Some of my builds-9-13-2017-050.jpg
Of course, NOW, we have to do the front upper story to match the porch (or as much as we can do before winter catches us)!
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement with this neat hobby we share! Have a Great Day Y'all!
George