View Single Post

Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Thank's very much, Rick, Douglas and Erik

Painting the decks

I like to present my technique for painting the model with acrylic and oil colors. I do not use the colors, which are included in the kit, but acrylic and oil paints from Schmincke - colors from other manufacturers including the colors included in the kit should work the same; I use the colors of this manufacturer for years and can therefore estimate the dilution well.
Since areas where oil paint is used are not adhered to later, they are tapered with Tamiya Tape (from the plastic model building area). Usually, this can be removed from paper residue-free - but this time it hasn't worked. I suspect that water or dilution has dissolved the upper paper layer. Since a different component is glued later, the error is not a problem.

First of all, the deck is painted glazed with acrylic paint sand (Schmincke 23660). After drying - the paint needs only a few minutes; If you are in a hurry, you can use a hair-drier to help you- the decks are once again painted with a very dilute acrylic color Umbra natur (Schmincke 13677).

In the last step the decks are painted with dilute oil paint Umbra natural light (Schmincke Mussini 670). I use a short-haired brush to keep the "grain" visible. In this step it is important always to paint in the longitudinal direction of the planking. If a spot falls too dark, the oil color can be carefully dissolved with a little thinner (Schmicke Diluent N) and further oil colors removed. The next picture shows the finished painted decks

The effect of the painting can be seen most easily on the model. For this I separated the three decks from the sheet and laid these on the frames. A great advantage of paper compared to plastic is the significantly shorter drying time of the colors.

P.S. I need around 1.5 hours for the painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-007.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-009.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-010.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-011.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-013.jpg  

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard

Last edited by Holzwurm; 09-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.