View Single Post

Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Construction of the framework - Part 3

Next, the stern was completed and all visible edges of the frames were dyed black. With this little trick I can easily recognize when strapping the hull that I do not sand too much away.

To make sure that I do not have any surprise following the building stages, I check every detail, if an important step is not shown in the instructions. Here I realized that I should paint the lower cover part and the edges of the windows and doors before installing the following parts to avoid white spots. It would be nice if the building instructions would point to these things.

It's really difficult to built a model without wood fore me
In my first attempt with cardboard, I had glued the thin layer of paper in the kit directly onto the sides. This procedure has led to sinking points, spackles, even more sink points and a lot frustration.

To avoid the problems, I started to fill the gaps between the frames with balsawood. First, perpendicular parts are glued in and then the remaining gap filled with horizontal parts. The vertical parts ensure that the ribs can not bend anymore.

With a similar approach I have very good experiences with wood models. If everything works, I will not have to fatten the hull or even very little.
Attached Thumbnails
Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-016.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-014.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-017.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-018.jpg   Papegojan, 1/72 - Shipyard-papegojan-019.jpg  

in the shipyard: Papegojan, 1/72 of Model Shipyard