View Single Post

Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale

I was reading an old blog post on Civil War Talk and came across a great article by John Wallis. It included a tidbit of information and a good drawing by Ben Shuman of this little gem, the Montgomery. John wrote the following..."The second of three ironclads known to have been constructed at Montgomery, this vessel was a large riverboat conversion. Reported by a Union spy to be at Mobile in late 1864, as armed and armored at least on the casemate. Never commissioned, she may have reverted to mercantile use after the war. Final fate unknown."

I have the basic model more or less done and will now start the flattening and so on. I have not heard of this guy, but it is interesting. She was a bit over 200 feet long and 34 feet in beam, with a draft of more or less of 8 feet. John was guessing at four inch armor, and it was said to have six guns. With those flat side wall and the gun lay out I guess it would be a head on fight if the captain had his choice in the matter.

In the Wallis/Shuman drawing their is no aft port or starboard gun ports. Rather this was an oversight, or machinery made such gun ports impractical, I left them off the model as well.

I hope John approves of this attempt to bring one of his boats alive!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery-1.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery2.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery3.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery4.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-5.jpg  

CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery6.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery7.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery8.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery9.jpg   CSS Montgomery gunboat 1/250 scale-css-mongomery10.jpg