View Single Post

Old 09-24-2017, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Handley Page HP.42 whiffery

I have started a new build. My eye fell on Gary Pilsworth's Handley Page HP.42 (unofficially known by some under the name "Halifax-class"). This brilliant looking 1930s-era aircraft was only built six times for Imperial Airways and that was that.
But. What if.

Suppose the KLM also bought half a dozen. Why? Their Fokkers of that era were getting obsolete very fast. They were small and slow and showing their age.
(I wrote a longer, quite elaborate story about the six KLM-owned HP.42's which I am happy to share with you all if you like.)

This is my build of the only survivor of those six, spending the autumn of his life in Dutch New Guinea in the 1950s for a daughter company of KLM.

I took the liberty of recolouring Gary's HP.42 in the livery used by "Kroonduif", the local airline in New Guinea and in the process I also redid the corrugated metal a little. The printout I made was two original pages per 1 A4, which makes the scale about 1/100 if I'm right. The paper is 160 grams.

The first leg started pretty well, Although I got to say the bulkheads are a tad too large in use and I should have made them a little smaller.
Fit is good, but I used inner glue strips instead of the tabs. Might be why the long rear end of the plane was a little loose in the fit.

The stance of the bottom wings was fiddly to say the least. Hard to get the right angle but with a three-view I downloaded it got a little easier. Now the big wing gave me some trouble. I couldn't get the two parts straight. The wing was warped and I printed it again for a second try.
Any tips for keeping it dead straight?
Attached Thumbnails
Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110128.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110131.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110134.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110140.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110141.jpg  

Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110144.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110145.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110146.jpg