View Single Post

Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
So here, especially for Butelczynski, a more elaborate photojournal of the strut-placeing event on the HP.42.
I first planned to use the jigs but in the end the were a little clumsy. The horizontal strut was in the way and it left me hardly any room to move stuff around and work with things like tweezers.
So, Plan B.
The struts were made from doubled-up 270 gram paper for more solidity. This way I also could make them a little thinner.
I turned the top wing upside down and I planned to first glue the struts on that attach to the upper wing and (practically) touch each other at the bottom wing. That meant in this particular model, the set between the engines and the outer four pairs. I used PVA that was relatively dry already. It is stickier and it holds strips of paper in angles they otherwise would just sag or fall off. This was relatively easy. Now while I let them set, I worked on the propellers. I cut them out of thick black paper, using the original prints as a template.

The N-shaped struts that would go from the upper engine nacelles to the lower ones were also glued in drops of PVA glue which were in the middle of drying. This way the angle (relative to the wing) I placed the struts in was maintained.

Then I turned the wing over and tested the position. It was a bit disappointing at first; the outer sets didn't touch the lower wings. Not to worry. The lower wings can be pulled up a bit. I first glued the central struts and the ones that attach to the nacelles into place. And I waited again.
Did some work on the props again and got one engine about ready.

Then, when the struts were almost dry, I started to re-attach the outer struts. Small drop of glue, and a rubber band loosely wrapped around both wings to keep them in place. That did the trick.
The remaining four struts were a piece of cake after that. Just dip the ends in PVA, (the best is to use a bit drier substance, not fresh out of the tube) and put the strips into place. Et voilą. It now is really really sturdy. There is no lateral movement in the wings at all.

The first prop is ready and it rotates really fine. It still needs closing up and it needs a little layer of a clear coat to retain the twist of the prop blades a little better.

I hope the pictures are clear enough. I think the main ingredient of working with double wings and struts is patience. You don't want to glue them all at once. Take the ones that connect first and glue them on to the upper wing because it is loose and more handleable. Then try and glue the wing to the rest of the plane but again, don't try to do them all at once. Glue the ones that touch first. Constantly check the angle of both wings in relation to the plane and each other. When it is dry, modify the other struts and if necessary re-cut struts for a better fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110182.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110183.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110184.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110185.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110187.jpg  

Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110188.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110190.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110191.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110192.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110193.jpg  

Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110196.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110197.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110198.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110199.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110202.jpg  

Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110203.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110206.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110207.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110208.jpg   Handley Page HP.42 whiffery-p1110209.jpg