View Single Post

Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Michael, they are certainly not better than your models, you make models that others do not make and from what I understand you design with a drawing programme and judgement the way models used to be designed. I used to do that as well, I just got tired of making 10 protoypes before getting something right

Airdave, you are correct and that is the benefit of a test build. I realized after building that I used one blueprint for the side view and a different blueprint for the front / rear. The car is too short - it looks like a pony car (long hood, short trunk) whereas these bodies are more balanced. I will go back to the drawing board and modify with the later blueprint and redo. Thanks very much for that great picture - that really shows the hood detail clearly.

I chose the '68 Cutlass because I thought the front was a challenge and I have never seen this model done before. Also I need to work out how to get the flares in, while keeping the model simple. This GM body style can also be applied / tweaked to Pontiac GTO and Chevelle /\Buick without too much work if successful. I was originally thinking about a 442, but that seemed too obvious.

I have more time now for hobbies than before, so hopefully can work on these for fun. I like working with coloured card / paper for consistent colour. Also, the problem with Blender is you can design a model, export to Pepekura and the Adobe and build an exact model with lots of fiddly bits that will drive you nuts cutting out. I want to find a way to mix old school and new school.

I also don't mind using short-cuts. Often for wheels I will use polystyrene for the inner wheel wall because I hate building wheels most of all We'll see how the next build turn out.

Ian B.