View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
1:1 scale B-25 Project

The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) is restoring its 1943 B-25 Mitchell "Berlin Express" to flying condition. As an EAA member and longtime volunteer, I will be spending a few afternoons a week helping with the restoration. I spent this afternoon and evening "getting intimate" with one of the aircraft's 14-cylinder Wright Cyclone engines, pulling exhaust stacks from the cylinders so the engine can be removed and overhauled.

On the airplane, the rear of the Cyclone is a rat's nest of pipes, tubes, and shrouds. Getting a socket wrench onto a bolt hidden deep in the maze and then finding room enough to swing the ratchet wrench was often a real challenge. I really could have used an eyeball on the end of my index finger.

Several years ago, I worked on the repair/restoration of the EAA's B-17, "Aluminum Overcast," pulling, cylinders, cleaning landing gear bays, installing guns and ammunition boxes. and other tasks. Crawling in and around that airplane, I gained a heightened appreciation for the young men and women who built, maintained, and flew these historic warbirds.

This B-25 has been on static display in the EAA's AirVenture Museum for many years. After restoration, it will be flown on tour as a "flying museum." I feel very privileged to take part in returning this beautiful aircraft to the air.

You can read about "Berlin Express" here:
https://www.eaa.org/…/1943-north-american-b-25h-mitchell---…

You can read about the restoration project here:
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/contribut...25-restoration
Attached Thumbnails
1:1 scale B-25 Project-b-25.jpg