View Single Post

Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
29 – Auxiliary Boats

Thanks Shipbuild and Don for the encouragement.
Thanks John and Renaud for the detailed photos. They were very helpful.

I abandoned the “planking” experiments, and moved forward with “one-piece” hulls. All the parts are paper, except for the frame, which is made of 1/32” plywood.

The hull and frame design was borrowed from Golden Bear’s Iéna. It was then resized and modified to replicate the drawings I have of Jauréguiberry’s boats. The Boilers and Funnels were designed by me according to the photos. Finally I added propellers to finish the work. Image 268 contains an inset (upper right) to provide a closer view of one of the tiny props.

Image 271 is a beautiful historical image that shows the crew and one of the Auxiliary Steamers aboard the battleship Iena. I love the gleaming funnel.

Image 272 was sent to me by Renaud. This is one of the most detailed images I have seen of auxiliary boats. Notice the variety of funnels used by the steamers.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-264-auxilary-steamers.jpg   -265-auxilary-steamers.jpg   -266-auxilary-steamers.jpg   -267-auxilary-steamers.jpg   -268-auxilary-steamers.jpg  

-269-auxilary-steamers-finished.jpg   -270-steamer-aboard-iena.jpg   -271-french-auxilary-boats.jpg