View Single Post

Old 11-18-2017, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.

Hi guy, new here - I'm desgning my own model and I need some advice.
some background first: I used to be a paper modeler in my teens and early 20's (I'm 42 now) but I haven't done much except for one self-designed model about 15 years ago. However I'm a 3d Modeler and I thought of returning to papercraft with a model of the psaceship "Rocinante" from the SYFY show "The Expanse". The Roci has a very angular design which is perfect for a paper model and I want to start with something relatively uncomplicated - I can always add some extra detail later on top of the basic model. I'm Doing all the design and unfolding on 3ds max and final layout and tab placement probably on Inkscape, when I get to it.

So, here's where I want your advice. First of all, I'm not even sure about the size I want to build - I guess somewhere between 30-45cm (12"-18"). The model is long and rather blocky, meaning a lot of empty space inside, and I don't have a good intuition about how strong the model must be to hold together. Additionally, in contrast to all the aircraft models that I used to build, The Roci is composed of distinct sections of differing sizes instead of a single continuous surface, meaning you can't just divide the hull into strips with bulkheads and use joining strips to put it all together. So I've been toying with the idea of some sort of internal structure made from thicker cardboard, over which the thinner external skin will slide. But then do I create a single long internal structure (I started designing one, which you can see in one of the images) or use smaller pieces to prop up each section, and then glue them together?
Chime in with any idea you have, your advice is sure to help getting this project off the ground. Especially the guys building mecha, those seem to have the closest shape to this type of model.
Attached Thumbnails
The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-roci_front.jpg   The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-roci_rear.jpg   The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-disassembled.jpg