View Single Post

Old 11-25-2017, 06:58 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
30 – Auxiliary Boats

Thanks Christian.

After many weeks, I was finally able to install some work on the ship itself.
That is where the feeling of progress is always the most satisfying.

Work on the auxiliary boats is under way. Note: The boats for this ship are very similar to those found on Masséna and Iéna . A new design was not necessary, so I am using the boats from Golden Bear’s Iéna. Those are perhaps the best designed boats I have ever worked with. They assembled very nicely when I built that ship, and they are still a pleasure to work with. Golden Bear ships are distributed by Gremir Models and may be found at GreMir Models.

I attempted to make the frames (thwarts) out of card. However, I kept damaging them when I installed them into the hulls. So I am using 1/32” plywood for the frames. That makes them much sturdier.
The hulls are paper. The boat cradle/transoms are doubled card stock. As seen in image 276, I used thin plastic rods as guides to help align the cradles so the boats will line up properly and straight.

Finally it is time to introduce the captain and officers from later in Jauréguiberry’s carreer.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
-272-auxiliary-boats.jpg   -273-auxiliary-boats.jpg   -274-thwarts-cradles.jpg   -275-forward-boat-cradles.jpg   -276-starboard-forward-boat-cradles.jpg  

-277-starboard-forward-boat-cradles.jpg   -278-starboard-forward-boat-cradle.jpg   -279-jaureguiberry-letat-major-en-1910.jpg