View Single Post

Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"

She's in Oshkosh, WI for her annual inspection. Most of the year, she's out on tour and giving rides. I've been helping restore the EAA's B-25 (See 1:1 scale B-25 Project) and the B-17 is in the same hangar. I walked through her today and took photos. Some of them are a little fuzzy; I was shooting handheld with my SLR at very slow shutter speeds -- nearly one second at times.

You will notice extra seats in the waist, radio compartment, and cockpit. The top turret remains though the guns and mechanism are gone to make room for passengers. The radioman's dorsal gun is gone. Railings have been added in the bomb bay and a short step ladder in the well under the pilots' seats. Other than that, so far as I can see, her fitting out is authentic WWII.
Attached Thumbnails
EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao1.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao2.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao3.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao5.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao7.jpg  

EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao8.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao10.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao14.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao15.jpg   EAA's B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"-ao16.jpg  

Last edited by Sakrison; 11-30-2017 at 11:52 PM.