View Single Post

Old 12-02-2017, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 MB
I settled on a size. The Roci is supposed to be 46 meters and I'm not sure what that length measures exactly, does it include antennas and so on, but I finally scaled it so it's going to be 46 centimeters total.
I unfolded, arranged the layout, and printed out the first "real" part, the drive section. I tried to account for paper thickness during the design stage, but still ran into some problems while building. Am I happy with the build quality? hell no. Am I going to redo it? well... I'm afraid not. Sadly while I can spend months adding the finishing touches to a 3D model, I seem to lack the patience to construct 16 teensy-weensy support trusses from paper *again*. I am going to pause with construction for a while and fix the problems in the 3D model / paper layout, and maybe after I release the model someone at some point will do it justice.

A problem I ran into was how to unfold a specific part: an octogonal ring. I think I chose the wrong option so I'm bringing it up for discussion: how would you unfold it, option 1, 2 or 3? (in one of the attached images)

Another question: If I release the model, what page size should I aim for? European or American? What do people usually do about this? Only use the paper area common to both? Also, is Letter/A4 the norm or do you print on larger sizes?
Attached Thumbnails
The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-paper_cutouts.jpg   The Spaceship Rocinante from the show "The Expanse" - need some advice.-completed_drive_section.jpg