View Single Post

Old 12-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
I settled on a size. The Roci is supposed to be 46 meters and I'm not sure what that length measures exactly, does it include antennas and so on, but I finally scaled it so it's going to be 46 centimeters total.
I unfolded, arranged the layout, and printed out the first "real" part, the drive section. I tried to account for paper thickness during the design stage, but still ran into some problems while building. Am I happy with the build quality? hell no. Am I going to redo it? well... I'm afraid not. Sadly while I can spend months adding the finishing touches to a 3D model, I seem to lack the patience to construct 16 teensy-weensy support trusses from paper *again*. I am going to pause with construction for a while and fix the problems in the 3D model / paper layout, and maybe after I release the model someone at some point will do it justice.

A problem I ran into was how to unfold a specific part: an octogonal ring. I think I chose the wrong option so I'm bringing it up for discussion: how would you unfold it, option 1, 2 or 3? (in one of the attached images)

Another question: If I release the model, what page size should I aim for? European or American? What do people usually do about this? Only use the paper area common to both? Also, is Letter/A4 the norm or do you print on larger sizes?
I have settled for common area between A4/Letter. For larger parts than that I split them up and then glue them back together using some helper parts.

Some make different files for A4 and Letter but that is just too much hassle for me.

Regarding the 3 unfold types, I would go for 2 but that would also depend on how the rest of the build would look like.

Really love what you are doing here. Looking forward to what comes next!