View Single Post

Old 12-08-2017, 02:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That’s a very good start indeed, Isaac! Your progress is impressive and I remember having the same sentiment regarding the engine duct: What a pity that such a beautiful print will be hidden inside the fuselage. The pictures are all that remain. The grey inside lining at the fuselage was a bit tricky, it needed some trimming for a good fit.
Regarding the colors, I tend to agree with Yoav. In normal daylight the sand color on my Mirage doesn’t look that pinkish, but it is certainly darker than the pdf on the computer screen and the pictures of real aircraft that you and Yoav have posted. Couldn’t help it, the printer settings were out of my reach as I used a printer at my work. Note the colors in the pictures may be deceiving as I normally auto-correct them after copying on the PC. The blue background of the cutting mat also influences the end result, as well as any light on my desk.
Regarding the use of (matt) varnish, I also apply a thin first coat before starting the work on a model. Then during the build and when the work’s finished I usually apply another coat by a flat brush. This gives a satin gloss look to the model, which apart from protecting it, gives it a realistic (and attractive?) look. The trick with applying varnish is never apply a too thick coat, whether sprayed or brushed, otherwise you run the risk of a powdery surface or, worse, whitish spots on the model.
Ayah, so many modelers, so many experiences!
Erik