View Single Post

Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
So why am I getting these requests?
Is it that hard to read the entire post and respect whats been said?
Maybe because in English the pronoun "you" is confusing when talking in singular and in plural.

In the last paragraph of your original message, in can be interpreted both ways:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
You are welcome to wait until it is released publicly (in the New Year)
OR you can try it now.
Let me know if you are interested...you'll have to email me.
And I'll send you a "work" PDF.
True: the previous paragraph introduced the reference to Clif52, and the second paragraph made a correct use of the pronoun "you" to indirectly address the person whom you addressed before (Clif52).

However, that ambiguity of the English language (that dates to many centuries back) makes people think that since it was a new paragraph, the subject changed, turning it from the singular you/Clif52 to the plural you/the-readers.

So the reader interprets that "you" as he/she prefers (reader charges it with a plural concept that includes the reader), because unfortunately the second paragraph doesn't mention Clif52 again to solve the ambiguity.

I'd say that's the reason why.

I almost PM'ed you asking for it, until I realized there was a possible contradiction derived from the "you" ambiguity: If the offer was "for Clif52 only", there could not be an open offer to everyone else too.