View Single Post

Old 12-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

in the meantime, I went to another building site again and took care of the Intertank of the External Tank (ET), which I like to have as 3D print (1:144), if I can find a modeler and manufacturer for it.

Source: NASA

Here is the 3D model by my friend Bill (niParts) from the ARC Forum, but unfortunately only in 1:72 scale,

Source: shapeways.com (niParts)

as well as here with the installation of the finished 3D-Intertank at his ET (1:72), where the part comes out great, in my opinion.

Source: arcforums.com (niart17)

And he also offers the matching mounts (Ice Frost Ramps) for the GH2 and GO2 pressure lines, also 1:72.

Source: shapeways.com (niParts)

A charming alternative to this is the Scratch building with thin Evergreen strips,

Source: raumfahrer.net (inselaner)

as it was successfully and impressively had been realized by my friend (inselaner) in the Raumcon forum at the ET of his Airfix Shuttle Stack.

Source: raumfahrer.net (inselaner)

So far, I have also flirted with the idea of this scratch-building variant, in case I can not find a suitable 3D-print.
In the Airfix kit, the Intertank stringers are only hinted at by these boring decals and are therefore only 2D, which I can not make friends with.

So I'm still trying to get a 3D Intertank (1:144), with that Michael Key (The Aerospace Place) had been starting in a hopeful way,

Source: Shapeways.com (The Aerospace Place - Michael Key)

on whose update I'm still waiting.

That's why I've been more in-depth with the Stringers, if I have to scratch them myself, which I did not intend to do.

Source: NASA
Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)