View Single Post

Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
So far, unfortunately, I had no dimensions of the stringers, but rather I have always tried to estimate it myself. At first, these images helped me, where cracks in the insulating foam on the Intertank before the STS-133 had been investigated,

Source: NASA

which were caused by a broken stringer, which can be seen here. And thus the height of the stringers should be about 2.5''.

From another image of this study after the repair of this stringer area, then I have determinedthe 1:144 widths of the Stringer (0.3 mm) and the Valleys (0.65 mm), which would be a good basis for scratch building.

So far so good, but then I've actually found even more detailed information about stringer geometry in another NASA document (ntrs.nasa.gov),

with which I made this sketch (1:1), which was then supplemented by the 1'' thick foam insulation (red),

And these dimensions with foam insulation could now, if one would like, be taken as a basis for scratch building, which is summarized here again.

But I still hope that Michael Key keeps on the line. At first he wanted to know the diameter and the exact position of the LO2-Feed Line as well as the Forward SRB Attachment Point) in the Intertank, what I still have to determine.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 12-11-2017 at 07:04 PM.