View Single Post

Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everyone,

and my hope was not disappointed. Yesterday Michael Key came up with a new update in which he took into account some of my correction hints.

On the one hand, it has reduced his previous, somewhat too large number of stringer in the two Thrust Panel to 26, as well as the perpendicularly extending circumferential segment rings somewhat narrower made, which looks much better.

Source: Shapeways.com (The Aerospace Place - Michael Key)

And on the other hand, he has adapted the geometry of the front and rear transitions from the Intertank to the ET better to the original.

Source: NASA

as you can see here, all respect.

In order to be able to continue modeling, he now needs the exact location of the SRB Forward Attachment Points, as well as the location of the LO2 Feedline (Ø 17'') and of the GO2 and GH2 Pressure Lines (Ø 2'') , shown in this drawing.

Source: Lockheed Martin (System Definition Handbook SLWT - Vol. II)
The only question is whether or how well the details of the Shuttle Stack from the Airfix Kit match this original drawing, or not.

In order to be able to check these details on the shuttle stack, I had to disassemble my previously provisionally taped Test-stack and then to attach the kit supports at the SRB on the ET-Attachment Ring to determine the exact position of the coupling point on the Intertank.

With the glued supports, the location of the SRB on the ET was now fixed exactly,

and could be marked again.

After that, I was amazed that my border of the front SRB docking pad, previously marked with tape on the test stack, was sitting actually a bit too deep, which could now be corrected.

Then I still determined the location of the LO2 feedline on the Intertank and was pleasantly surprised that the angle of 23° matches with the value in the above drawing.

However, what is less consistent with the original is the spartan version of the feedline itself and the lack of coverage (Fairing).

Source: NASA

This has been realized much better by Revell on their ET-Intertank, as you can see here at the ET of my recently unexpectedly deceased friend Thomas from Bavaria, whose Real Space Modeling estate was taken over by me.

In view of this, after careful consideration and in coordination with his wife and son, I have come to the conclusion that it would be also in his sense to at least partly preserve his model-building heritage, when I would integrate some of his assemblies and parts, e.g. the already LED illuminated FSS platforms and the Hammerhead Crane as well as the PE staircases for the tower, etc. into my model and would thus be able to document and honor his awesome modeling work and skills for everyone visibly posthumously. - May he rest in peace ...

And here finally the distance of the coupling point for Michael Key, which lies approximately in the middle.

At this point, a continuous inner tube is foreseen into which I will later insert a brass rod (Ø 2 mm) to stabilize the SRBs.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)