Thread: Type 95 Ha-Go
View Single Post

Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.48 MB
Exactly 76 years ago, in January 1942, Ha-Go tanks camouflaged like mine, participated in Philippine Campaign. I think it's great time to remind this part of history...

The Philippines Campaign (1941-1942), was an invasion of the Philippines by Japan also known as the Battle of the Philippines. The islands were a strategic location for the Japanese as they lie between Japan and the South Pacific. The importance of this location forced the United States to call Army General Douglas MacArthur, who had retired in the Philippines, to serve in the Filipino Army as a field marshal.

The first Japanese-US tank battles occurred during the desperate defense of Bataan (Philippines) in December 1941, against M3 Stuarts. The later proved to have superior armor, but their crews had less experience and training, and suffered losses. In Malaya and Burma, also in December 1941, the Ha-Go was well-employed in jungle warfare, surging were they were not expected. Being light and rugged enough, they performed well in many tropical environments during the war. The Ha-Gos were also engaged almost everywhere in the Pacific, from Guadalcanal to Okinawa. In 1944, they were clearly outgunned and under-protected against bazookas, antitank rifles and even cal.50 (12.7 mm) rounds.

Sources:
Philippines Campaign (1941-1942): Japan Invasion of the Philippines
Type 95 Ha-Go

Bonus picture of my model in attachment.

Attached Thumbnails
Type 95 Ha-Go-philippines-1942-ha-go.jpg