View Single Post

Old 01-17-2018, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

by a contribution in the ARC Forum meanwhile a few new insights to the AFTCs resulted, over which I would like to report briefly.

First of all, there is this photo from an interesting perspective looking at the lower edge of the SRB-Aft Skirt, where the individual ASTC segments are also glued over with silver cover strips, as in the STS-1 photo.

Source: georgesrockets.com

And from the same source also comes this great photo here of the Columbia, but unfortunately without specifying the mission.

Source: georgesrockets.com

This for me so far unknown source is the website George's Rocket Pages of George Gassaway, which according to my previous overview I deem for the ultimate treasure trove for all shuttle scratch modelers, if only because of the valuable collection of detailed drawings there, which are coming just in time for the modeling of the ASTCs and especially of the ET-Intertank, which is why I have now modified my sketch for the third time, but of course all good things come in threes.

And therefore once more back to this awesome Hi-Res SRB photo from the STS-121 (2006), where one can even see the cords with which the AFTCs were sewn together. But so far I did not know if these seams still were covered with stripes before the launch as one could see on the already shown STS-1 photo.

Source: NASA

But on this photo from Endeavour's last mission STS-134 (2011) one can see the same kind of ASTC segments with cords but without stripes.

Source: NASA

And in this sence now to an awesome NASA video, "Best of the Best" of Shuttle Launches, that many of you will surely know already.

This video from the Glenn Research Center highlights in stunning imagery in slow motion the launches of three Space shuttle missions: STS-114, STS-117, and STS-124.

And there one can see from 6:28 the Aft Skirts with the ASTCs, the segments of which have no cover stripes like in this shot at 7:37.

This video is so overwhelming and unique that one can watch it again and again in full length.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 01-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.