View Single Post

Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
<Sigh>, completely depressed and disgusted with myself.
I trimmed out and glued together the two halves of the orange body cylinder. The two easiest pieces of this model and completely messed them up.
Incredibly poor glue line and to top it off glue all over the parts.

I was just going to move on and use them but I just can’t. Looks lousy and it will always be a sore spot for me.

It takes tons of red and yellow ink to print these parts but I’ll Have to reprint - hopefully tomorrow.

In the past when joining long straight tabs I used to use strips of an item called cello-tak or cello-mount. It was large, thin sheets of a carrier with permanent adhesive on both sides. Main use for was mounting posters to foam-board. The Pro was it was absolutely permanent. The con was it was absolutely permanent-no room for mistakes. Apparently it’s no longer made. I hoarded pieces of it for years until I ran out.
It was clean, sure and permanent. Trying to find an alternative but no luck so far.

JoeG
I HATE building cylinders and avoided doing it like the plague for years. I had a couple of well-stocked hobby shops near me who sold model rocket tubes and came to use them for many of my rocket bodies. I could often find one that was the size I needed, or I learned how to cut a tube down to the necessary diameter. (Rick Sternbach has a great tutorial on this on his Saturn V Clinic page, but he works in plastic. I found his techniques worked great with cardboard model rocket tubes, though.)

I got over my aversion, though. I still am challenged to glue long seams, but I'm learning.

Keep at it. You've done a great job on the capsule, and I bet you'll wind up with a great-looking model.